Method Of Defiance is bassist/producer Bill Laswell, sound destroyer Submerged, and drummer Guy Licata. As a programmer, DJ, and founder of hugely influential drum and bass labels Ohm Resistance and Obliterati, Submerged is a known force in the world of drum and bass. A respected veteran of the DJ circuit, and a collaborator with many of drum and bass's most recognized artists, his labels have been described as "the US's finest talent incubators". Guy Licata is a drummer unlike any other. He describes his style as "reverse engineering" taking programmed breaks and learning them piece by piece. A teacher at NYC's Drummer's Collective, and performing member of abstract hip hop group APSCI, Guy's skills have made him one of the most currently sought after drummers in New York City. And of course, the legend, Bill Laswell. Bill has been one of largest forces responsible for shaping modern music into what it is today. His artistic breakthrough in producing "Rockit" for Herbie Hancock's Future Shock album, has been cited by many as influencing the explosion of hip-hop and turntablism. Laswell has remixed the works of Bob Marley, Miles Davis, and Carlos Santana as well as collaborated with hundreds of musicians like Brian Eno, Peter Gabriel, Mick Jagger and many more. Laswell continues to hybridize music styles with his latest project METHOD OF DEFIANCE.
Robert Soares speaks: "A dark, hypnotic recording with historic musicans vs. cutting edge drum & bass artists from the U.K., Europe and the U.S. The drum breaks were collected raw and guided to be heavyweight/down to earth, unmixed, and played over to musicans who added virtuosic instrumentation 'live on the spot' in interaction with the dynamics of the breakbeats. It was later produced and mastered in NYC."
This is truly exciting stuff. Even if you're not a fan of drum and bass, you've got to marvel and appreciate the boundaries this project is crossing. Some legandary talents coming together to see one vision succeed. Check the audio clips for yourself!
1. MOD (ft. Submerged and Pharaoh Sanders) - TA 'WIL
2. MOD (ft. Paradox, Toshinori Kondo, Buckethead, Bernie Worrel) - HUMANOID
3. MOD (ft. Black Sun Empire , Graham Haynes, Pete Cosey) - HIDDEN KILLER
4. MOD (ft. D-Star, Byard Lancaster, Pete Cosey) - AMENTA
5. MOD (ft. Paradox, Herbie Hancock) - PANEPHA
6. MOD (ft. Amit, Toshinori Kondo, Buckethead) - BABYLON DECODER
7. MOD (ft. SPL, Masada String Trio, John Zorn) - AIBI VIRUS
8. MOD (ft. Outrage, Craig Taborn) - ANTI-JAZZ GLITCH
9. MOD (ft. Fanu, Graham Haynes, Byard Lancaster) - BLACK WATER
10. MOD (ft. Evol Intent, Dave Liebman) - PATTERN ENGINE
11. MOD (ft. Karsh Kale, Nil Peter Molnaer) - AETHER
12. MOD (ft. Corrupt Souls) - REMAINS